Saturday, October 2, 2010

On Becoming Human

A touching piece:
My, how things have changed since I became a Catholic. Here is what popped into my head instead, "I was an animal for too long. Now I desire to be a human being. This is difficult, but I am trying."

Of course, biologically, I have been a homo sapien for as long as I've been around. Created in God's image, just like you. But only recently have I begun to feel like I am making progress in moving beyond the image and actually getting to the substance of being human. A human being, not just a human who happens to be. I still have a long way to go.

Since I've become a Catholic, I have unwittingly been taking St. Philip Neri's advice though. He said,

It is very useful for those who minister the Word of God, or give themselves up to prayer, to read the works of authors whose names begin with S., such as Saint Augustine, Saint Bernard, etc.

And though I'm not a minister (though I am a father) or someone given up wholly to a life of prayer (sounds appealing, but I have father/husband responsibilities), hanging around mentally with the Saints, and their writings, has had a positive impact on me...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...