Sunday, October 10, 2010

On the Forgiveness of Sins

A good reflection:
"...We're all spiritual lepers," our pastor told us. That much, I figured, I understood.

Then our pastor said something I'd never contemplated. The Church offers us the Sacrament of Reconciliation so that we might be able to forgive our brothers and sisters. I know I need Reconciliation to repent for my own sins. And I know we Christians must forgive others, even if we think the person who has harmed us is "undeserving" in the eyes of the world.

But never had I understood how the two are intertwined. Without our willingness to humble ourselves and beg for God's forgiveness, how can we hope to forgive another? Indeed, unless I acknowledge my own sinfulness, my forgiving someone of their sins is an empty gesture, a kind of spiritual narcissism.

This afternoon I found a beautiful reflection on the power of Reconciliation by Fr. Thomas Ryan, CSP, who directs the Paulist North American Office for Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations,

The reconciliation with God and with one another is not allowed to stay in an invisible, “spiritual” or mental realm. Rather, it leads to other real, on-the-ground reconciliations which repair the breeches caused by sin. This is necessary because, while the wrong-doing is forgiven, its concrete effects remain. Thus, through this process, the forgiven offender is reconciled in his/her innermost being where a sense of honesty, integrity, and innermost truth is regained. One is reconciled with others whom one has in some way offended and wounded. One is reconciled with the Church. One is reconciled with all creation...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...