Friday, February 18, 2011

Are You a Humble Person?

Ouch.  Well, it only seems appropriate to have a little examination of conscience at 3 o'clock on a Friday afternoon, so have at it.  From the apparently excellent Fr. Joseph K. Horn.  For the whole test, go to the original link:
You know how the doctor sometimes says, “This won’t hurt at all,” and then does something that hurts? I really hate it when they say, “This might hurt a little,” because then you know it’s definitely going to hurt. The worst thing I ever heard a doctor say was when I broke my leg ten years ago, and the doctor in the emergency room took hold of my leg to jerk the bones back into their somewhat proper location, and he looked me right in the eye and said, “This is really going to hurt.”

Well, my friends, I thought about giving a sermon today that wasn’t going to hurt at all. It was too boring, so I rewrote it to hurt just a little. When it was done, I realized that I’d better warn you: This is really going to hurt. Sorry; no anesthetics are available.

There are seven common situations that test a person’s humility, and reveal clearly whether they are proud or humble. As you listen to each of these seven tests, let it rip open your soul, if need be, and decide what needs to be operated on...
This one's for me as much as for anyone else. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

But Jesus is a merciful Lord, brother, master, friend, so there's hope for all us poor sinners. Thank God.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...