Saturday, March 16, 2013

"I Was Called to be Padre Pio’s Secretary"

Coolness! Excerpts:
...On August 31 in 2009, I – then a staff writer for the Tampa Bay Times - followed a Capuchin friar from the chapel at Most Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Tampa to his desk in his office next door. Fr. John Aurilia, then Most Holy Redeemer’s pastor, agreed to let me interview him for the paper.

I dove right in with questions: What vows does a friar take? Why did you become a priest? What exactly do you own (not much!), and do you really live in poverty? Fr. John answered with humility and an Italian accent. He shared his story, eventually divulging what I never expected he would:

“In 1967, I was called to be Padre Pio’s secretary,” he said.

“I’m sorry,” I said, certain I had misheard him. “Whose secretary? I thought you said Padre Pio…”

As it turns out, he did...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...