Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I, A Sinner, Ask Your Prayers

Lest anyone be deceived by the existence and nature of this blog, let you now know the truth: I am a sinner, and know that I am a sinner.

Am I a good Catholic?

Nope.

I'm a bad Catholic. And thusly, I gotta go to Confession.



It's a Chestertonian paradox at the heart of the Church. The Catholic who frequents the sacraments is a Catholic who regularly Confesses their sins and prays the Confiteor at the start of Mass. The supposedly "good Catholic" is the one who knows they are a bad Catholic. (Speaking of which, check out Bad Catholic--it's cool!  All the cool kids are there!)

Hence, Archbishop Dolan.  Excerpts:
"...Two powerful sacraments, Eucharist and Reconciliation, constants of our spiritual life, at the heart of the church, near the tomb of Saint Peter.

I don’t want you to think that I only approach confession when I’m in Rome!

At home with you in New York I try to go every two weeks, because I need it.

But it does have a special urgency and meaning here in Rome.

Near the tomb of Saint Peter, I can hear Jesus ask Him three times: “Simon, do you love me?” and then examine my conscience to see how I have failed to love the Lord and take care of his sheep.

Near his tomb, I picture myself, like Saint Peter, doubting Jesus and sinking in the waters of the storm.

Adjacent to his burial place, I even admit that, like Peter, I have, in my thoughts, words, and actions, denied Jesus.

So my contrition is strong, my purpose of amendment firm, and I approach one of the Franciscans for confession in the corner of the massive basilica.

Then I say my penance before the tomb of Peter, under the high altar, and go to vest for the greatest prayer of all, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

And then I go for pasta…."

So pray for me--I need it. And pray for all the other bad Catholics out there--we need it. Because that's what's in the Confiteor:
I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...